Old 10-22-2009, 08:25 PM
amma
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by amma
My DB and I are kicking around an idea for a drop leaf table...
Half will be a regular table with an almost equally sized half that drops down out of the way when I don't need it. I want my sewing room more open until I am ready to need the additional sewing surface. I am thinking about putting countertopping on it, the surface would be nice and slick for moving a quilt around on.
Hmm, your idea is intriguing. Thanks for replying. I too, would like the option of having more room as needed, but pretty much want two machines set up at one time. Would your counter top be large enough to cover the whole table when it's opened up? Or, just how do you plan to do this? Will you be sinking your sewing machine into the table? Do take height into consideration; be careful not to end up with something too tall for you - unless you want to use a stool. I'm halfway thinking about using counter top as a table, that's one reason I'm asking folks about their experiences with narrower tables. I suppose we might find a wider chunk of it, tho. We'd get it at a resale place if we use any at all.
We are tossing around the idea of making the table out of pressed board, and applying the counter top to it ourselves. That way we can make it the size I want...as soon as I figure out what that is :roll: :lol: I want atleast one sewing machine sunk down at the table's level and DB said that he can make two or more inserts to go around my machines so that I can put any of them into the inset. He and I will make the tables to "my" height specifications, too. I thought about salvedged cupboard bases, but I would have to set them up off of the floor, so that my feet could get underneath them and I could stand right up/leaning onto the counter...that leaning over kills my back.