View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 PM
cricket_iscute

As someone who goes to maybe 6 or 8 quilting classes every year, and always has a bunch of stuff to lug and a supply list, different for each teacher, here is what I do:

I take my "Gotta Have It Bag" with it's one big bag on wheels and smaller bag that fits over the extendable handle (which I got some time ago at Allbrands.com) and put in it:

Big bag
----------
Sewing machine - which one depends on what teacher specifies
power cord for machine and extension cord
Foot pedal
Fold-down Ott light
pack the biggest area of the biggest bag with batting and fabric

Small iron, either Clover craft iron or Rowenta craft iron - include cord!

Bag with essential sewing stuff including rotary cutter, extra blades, needles, pins, thimble, stiletto, measuring tape, metal measuring "square" for small measurements on seam allowances, bobbins, extra machine feet, a couple neutral spools of thread, scissors, snips, tweezers, etc.

A June Tailor 23X16(?) inch cut and press board. This is excellent, does not warp, and I highly recommend it. I've worn out about 3 of them over the years. You cut on one side and press on the other.

Rulers: 6"x24", 12.5" square, and any ruler teacher specifies. I usually put these behind the June Tailor cut and press, away from the machine, and have never had a problem.

____
In a pocket on the front goes all the threads I may need in addition to the neutral thread.
In other pockets on the big bag go other supplies the teacher may call for.

In the smaller bag, pieces of cut fabric, whole yardage, and other supplies for the class projects.

I also keep a well-equipped sewing kit in my vehicle and can get whatever I need. It also contains sewing machine oil, even though I oil machines before I pack them.

If necessary, I take an extension table for the machine bed and that goes in the big bag or tied to the smaller bag, which is over the extendable handle.

You might want a pad for under your machine, which also has pockets on the front for your supplies while you sew.

I can wheel in everything I need in one trip. I pack the things I want to get at first on the top except for an extension cord, which goes on the top of the machine just in case.

Enjoy your retreat! Take a pillow to sit on.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 12-16-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling