View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Patty55

Default Opinions Please!

I have been researching buying a sewing machine for several weeks now and no matter what I put in my search engine, I ended up here. So I think I was meant to be here. And I joined.

I keep running about in circles so I am looking for recommendations from those who use these machines all the time. I want a machine that will sew almost anything. Clothing weight leather, light upholstery fabric, denim, and of course quilts. I am leaning towards a vintage machine with direct drive like the Singer 201, or 15-91. My other option is go with a treadle/hand crank type of machine.

I really don't care about the antique value of these machines. I want to use them. I do know I don't want anything plastic or made in China. All I care about is straight stitch and reverse. Zig zag would be nice but not a deal breaker. I don't want a lot of computerized stuff I can't fix if it breaks. I've had machines with lots of bells and whistles and I never used any of it. I am fairly handy and I'm not afraid to pick up a screwdriver.

I've been sewing for years. Mostly simple projects but I can make just about anything. I've always had cheap hand me down machines that weren't all that good. What do you think? Am I looking at the right machines? Suggestions on great machines I missed?

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to getting to know you!