View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 PM
ArchaicArcane

I use mine all the time. I've only had it less than a month, so maybe we're still in the honeymoon phase, but it's set up semi-permanently in the living room.

After I got it home, I cleaned it and waxed it, and generally made it look pretty again. DH twisted up and baked a piece of piano wire for me to replace one of the leg springs that came broken when we bought it.

Then, the next thing I did was make it a full vinyl fitted table cloth cover. This is so I can do things like work on the laptop on it, put a cup or a dish on it while I'm working on stuff, place my cutting mat on it and cut, plan out projects, etc.

The latest project this past week was to make a fitted table cloth cover that had a cutout for the FW in it. This is so that the fabric slides nicely, but I don't have to worry as much about jabbing the thin veneer with a pin or dragging one across it. (Which is more likely I find when the FW is level with the table. ) Similar to the one that Charlene Philips at the Sew Box made.

I also noticed when I'm sewing things that the FW doesn't like (2 layers of relatively thick vinyl, for instance), that if I turn the table 180 degrees, that a 411G or similar sized machine fits nicely on the table, as long as my project isn't too long, or can be bunched up a little (or the fabric runs into the FW)

I do think that one could be made to fit the FW, but it would be easier to recreate the cradle pieces if you had one to use as a model. That said, FW card tables can be found for well less than $100. There are people on this board who have scored them for less than $10. Mine was $100 (but Canadian prices are a little whacked)

I guess what I'm getting at is the last card table I saw in a store was $79 full bore retail, and on sale for $50. Once you add materials, it's more expensive than an original if you keep your eye out for a good deal.

They are relatively rare though, compared to say a FW, so if you want it, and the price isn't completely nuts, I'd grab it.