View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Bearpawquilter

One mistake I made going to one retreat was not bringing enough to keep me busy all weekend. Offered my services - no takers. Here is a real good idea I read somewhere. Give each lady an index card and have them write their name, emergency contact person and phone number, meds they are on, medical conditions, car info if everyone is driving there, anything else you feel important and have them put it upside down under their machine. No one will see it unless absolutely necessary but this info may be vital for first responders should there be an emergency. Except for your sewing buddy you are going with, you will probably be in a room full of virtual strangers. I live on an island in Alaska and we go to our retreat once per year on a guild member's husband's fishing boat around to the other side of the island to a fishing lodge. No opportunity to run to the local quilt store. And yes there have been forgotten feet, cords, etc. Last year she had DH send the machine foot out on the mail plane. I have a small traveling machine for retreat and classes. I don't take my computerized big girl machine on the fishing boat. I did find out that my traveling machine does not like the cone thread and holder. Messy tension problems on the back side. Tried all the suggestions from others: rethread, change needle, rewind bobbin, yadda, yadda. Finally switched back to spool on the pin and problem solved. We play games: put a charm square in the bucket if you say the forbidden word, quilter's bingo, etc. Drawing for the charm squares once per hour. Fun. I also suggested taking a shot of tequila every time you use your seam ripper. No takers on that one either. Cowards! You have a lot of good advice here. I felt the same way you did before my first retreat. You will have a great time. I'm sure of it. Let us know how it went. N