Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 PM
cathyvv

Just finished four quilts that turned into 'cram' quilts. I planned to start quilting them in September, then got a sinus infection that wouldn't quit and destroyed my concentration. Finally, in November, started quilting the largest of the 3, a queen size. Went fine until the LAST row. I had to do that last row 4 times. That set me back quite a bit as I had to 'un-quilt' three times!

Then started a quilt for my grandson to be - that one went smoothly until - you guessed it - the last row. Only took 3 attempts, though, and it's a baby size quilt, so...

Then I started my nephews quilt. Another last row boondoggle! But I have learned from the two previous boondoggles, and it also only took 3 attempts, so finally got it done.

Then I got an 'add-on' quilt top that my sister sent. It's also a baby quilt for my grandson-to-be, but the blocks are pinwheels that my Mother (deceased) made and put aside. She put them aside for a reason. They are way out of shaped. My sister did some repair, but it just wasn't enough. Quilting went well until row 3 of 4, when I saw that the LAST row was going to have a huge pleat in it. Can't have that! So the quilt came off the frame, the third row of quilting was removed, as were both of the bottom borders. Then I took in a few pinwheels until it looked like the quilt might straighten out and quilt right. Put the borders back on, did what you have to do to get the batting and back lined up and re-mounted it on the frame. Thank God, it worked.

As a result, I am now always going to quilt the 'last' row first - I'll let you know if that helps - it can't get any worse. I hope. LOL