View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM
ube quilting
Power Poster

Budggies are great birds. My Macy would play hide and seek with me peek a boo and showered with me every morning. He would stay on my head in the shower and do his thing while i did mine and when we finished he would sit on the edge of the mirror and prean and talk to himself. He was so smart.

I caught Macy in a parking lot of a mall that is right next to a kiddie amusement park where they had birds to use as entertainment. This little guy forunatly escaped. He was setting right under the tire of my car so I tossed my sweatshirt over him and carried him home in my lap. He was with me for twelve years. A great friend.

The one thing you must consider seriously when taking on this kind of commitment is it will be a life time campanion. Parrots are very long lived so you must really be commited to it's care and protection for a lifetime.

They become very attached to people and routine is real important too. You can't just have a neighbor care for them if you take a vacation. They can get depressed if denied their loved ones.They are a lot of work. It it not just seeds and water and cleaning a cage. Parrots require a lot of attention and mental stimulation. They should not be allowed to languish in a cage by themselves all day while the household is at work and school and busy.

I have seen this happen and have cared for several birds that unknowingly were negected. When you think you are giving a parrot enough attention you are only at the edge of what they truely require.

If you are serious about getting a parrot PLEASE try to get a rescue bird and NOT one from any pet store. Do some research on where these birds come from and how they are captured.

Unless you buy a bird from someone who hand raises them from egg up to fledge, you may be participating in a very cruel trade in animals.

Please do your homework on this. Parrots can be wonderful companions if done right.
peace