Thread: Design Wall
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 AM
quilttiger

I have a permanent design wall attached to the wall at one end of my studio. This was made of four interlocking Styrofoam panels two by six feet each. I used a wide flannel backing and stapled (tape is fine, too) it to the back before putting it up. As if one design wall is not enough, I copied this idea from a quilt retreat. Use three styrofoam panels or foam boards cut to the desired width and height to fit your needs. Tape the first seam on one side and tape the second seam on the reverse side so that the panels act as a folding room divider screen. I covered mine with an old bed flannel sheet on one side while the screen was folded. The reason is that it is fine when it is open but the flannel needs a place to go over the folded seam before the screen is put away for storage. I have it in front of the sewing machine while I am sewing blocks in proper sequence or trying out design layouts if the first wall is being used for another project. I discovered I can lay it out on a table top if I need to arrange and rearrange blocks a thousand times...far better than going up and down the ladder for a large project or better than doing it on the floor. This wall is lightweight and it can be moved anywhere and stored easily. Didn't cost much to make.

Last edited by quilttiger; 12-20-2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: typo