View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I like your set up CD. Simple and uncomplicated.
I call the stand my “MUTT” (Multi-Use Treadle Top). I’ve painted the irons black with gold highlights since that photo was taken. It had some paint skinned off of the lower part of all four legs, so I just went with black so it wouldn’t rust any further and I can do touch-up easier later on when needed. Since I’m toting it all around, it will no doubt get some wear on the paint. I am rigging it up to be able to change tops for different types of machines, and have begun rounding up other cabinet tops with various cut-outs.

The top shown on it is from a Singer Model 56 Electric Cabinet. I tend to like Singers, so it’s the top that I use the most. I used the extension leaf of that cabinet for my second top, and left it solid with only a belt slot cut in it. I’m experimenting with making a treadle serger (Bernette 203 3-thread). I haven’t gotten the bugs out of that setup yet. I’m also hoping to use the solid top to experiment with a table-top style freearm machine (National Model J) that I have.

The main thing that I was going for with this MUTT was portability and a small “foot print”. I use it in show booths, at the shop to test operate serviced machines, and at home to limber up the heads that I collect for myself. Being a SM collector, there’s never much room for another treadle, so I needed to keep it compact but yet still functional.

Ed. - This photo is when I was using it in a booth to sew wind socks at a Fair last year.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine483_15.jpg  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 12-20-2012 at 08:25 AM.