View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 AM
TanyaL

Aprons were not just for women. Many of the men's professions had aprons. The blacksmith, the carpenter, the ironmonger, the glassblower, etc. Almost all professions that got the clothes dirty had an apron to protect the clothing. Now the only three I can think of are the carpenter's which has evolved to a utility belt and the lead apron you wear at the dentist to protect from radiation exposure during x-rays and the butcher's. Mass produced cheap clothing and washing machines reduced the need for aprons and they became old fashioned. And we all know how we hate to be old fashioned. Does anyone dial their telephone? I use an apron for a clothes pin bag on the rare occasions when I hang out clothes to dry, and I wear an apron when I paint. Once in a while I wear an apron to cook in. I used to have an apron that said "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch" on the front that I wore when I wanted the family to leave me alone for awhile. I don't have it anymore, but during menopause it got a lot of usage! LOL