View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 PM
cricket_iscute

Nice machine! I have one also and love it. It's one of the best machines made, IMHO, and has very precise engineering, especially in the bobbin area. It is good for free motion quilting, among other things. It will handle much heavier fabric than other machines, but don't do leather often! I know people who use this machine to mend the sales on their sailboat.

I agree with Tri-Flow oil. The manual will show you where to put exactly one drop, but generally, put a drop anywhere metal meets metal, except gears. I also recommend Tri-Flow grease for the gears (no oil on the gears!) and if you can't find that, use Singer grease/lubricant. If you can't find it, use regular sewing machine oil. Do NOT use 3-in-1 or WD40 or any other oil on a sewing machine! Ever.

You can use sewing machine oil to clean the outside, too. Use a soft cloth like flannel or diapers.

You will have to keep the bobbin area very clean and be careful what thread you use in the bobbin. The slightest lint, dust, or stray thread will cause this machine to come to a screeching halt. Cover it when not in use. This is not a machine that can be used for bobbin work with thick threads in the bobbin - ask me how I know! If you have kids I would recommend they not use this fine example of German engineering. This is a machine deserving of the greatest respect. In my opinion, it is one of the top five sewing machines of all time. Can you tell how much I like it?

It uses Pfaff low-shank feet. You can find them on e-bay. You might be able to use generic feet but I haven't tried it and don't really know how they would work. Pfaff feet are also well engineered and precise.

I think Goo Gone should be safe.

You got an excellent price. I have a pristine model, a perfect machine - not a scratch - and it cost me almost $400 about 4 years ago. It had been meched by one of the best in the business, and that was included in the price. I maintain it myself, being a sewing machine mechanic.

There is a yahoo group called OldPfaff forum or something similar. They will have a manual on line and a great deal of information in many posts on the 130.

You have a machine worth having and keeping nice for decades to come. And if you ever want to get rid of it, let me know.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 12-21-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Forgot something