View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 07:57 AM
mo130

It's been a bit busy around here, so I haven't invested as much time getting her cleaned up as I would have liked, but I did get the stickers off with Goo Gone. It did a great job without affecting the finish at all. I also used some Brasso on much of her chrome, which beautifully removed much of the pitting. I think if I work at it a bit more, I'll be able to make what little is left disappear.

I also had a chance to "play" with her a bit. I'm amazed at the different kinds of stitches you can make (although I'm a total novice, so she'll be able to amaze me easily).

Tomorrow, I'm heading to Florida for a few days, but as soon as I get back, I'll start working on her finish with the oil that Candace and Cricket recommended. I agree with Candace's approach on "restoring." I never repaint or refinish anything unless its finish is nearly destroyed. I use the least amount of chemicals possible to mostly just clean up that nice patina which vintage items acquire over time. Here are some images after the Brasso treatment and sticker removal. [ATTACH=CONFIG]383594[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]383595[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]383596[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]383593[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pfaff_22dec12_1.jpg   pfaff_22dec12_2.jpg   pfaff_22dec12_3.jpg   pfaff_22dec12_4.jpg  

Last edited by mo130; 12-22-2012 at 08:00 AM.