Old 12-22-2012, 03:41 PM
J Miller

Originally Posted by LuvQuiltin View Post
JOe,

she'll have to be happy with whatever cabinet I can find right now. I want to get her in production.....lol. Have found a parts manual and instruction manual that I downloaded. Now i need to find some bobbins, etc. Not sure what all I need since this is my first treadle.
Technically it's just a head right now. It won't be a treadle until it looks like this:

Here is a comment or three based on those I have;

Parlor cabinets are nice looking, compact and NOISY. The cabinet encloses the treadle mechanism and acts like a megaphone.

5 drawer treadles ( two on each side and one in the middle ) are OK, but don't hold enough "stuff".

7 drawer treadles ( three on each side and one in the middle ) are great.

If the treadle you're looking at has wheels, make sure all four are there and turn freely. If they are rusted it is a big pain in the sit down part to free them up. Don't ask me how I know this ... .

Check the veneer around all the edges. If it's de-laminating but otherwise complete it's a fairly easy fix. If the veneer is cracked, chipped, and badly separating it's a big job to fix.

Ummmm, keep the moving parts oiled, and keep bottom of the pitman arm adjusted and oiled. That way it won't clunk too badly.

Try to find American or Japanese made treadle belts if you can. And try to find 1/4" belts. Most belts out there now are Chinese made 3/16" and I don't really care for them.

Bobbins are common. It takes Class 66 metal bobbins available darn near everywhere, but Sew-Classic has good ones, others may or may not. You can use the plastic ones if you run into them, they just came later.

Needles are common. It takes 15x1s or equivalent.

Feet and attachments; If it's a low shank machine they are common as can be. If it's a back clamp, you'll have to do some searching but they are still out there.

Joe