View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 06:18 PM
J Miller

Default Just a cranky little old lady.

I pieced all the parts to the two quilts we're making for my aunts with the HOTHER. It sewed fine. We tried to quilt the quilts but because the belt kept slipping and there wasn't enough room under the arch we switched to the 201-2.

Today I put a new belt on the HOTHER getting it ready for the edge binding. It wouldn't sew. The tension went wonky. It kept pulling the top thread tight as spring and curling up the fabric. I switched needles, no go. I switched thread and bobbin, no go. I checked the adjustments. Nope, that didn't help either. I cleaned a bunch of lint out from under the needle plate, didn't help either.

Well, I've told the HOTHER's story before, but the machine had been used for years before my mother retired it. Then it sat for over 20 years unused. When I found it a year ago and put it back into action I just wiped it down and oiled it. I've been using it off and on now for a year.
The tension was somewhat dirty and the plating was amber from old oil. Soooooo, I took her back downstairs and cleaned the tension and face plate, then the feed dogs, hook and bobbin parts.

Put her all back together and she's back to sewing. Just a cranky old lady that wanted attention.

Joe