View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 07:05 PM
quiltingcandy

My husband and I had an umbrella crested cockatoo (Maui) for several years before we had children. Maui was fun, messy but fun. I had to clean under her cage daily. Usually when I got home from work I would let her out and go about what I needed to do. Most people liked her, but there are some people, such as my mother who did not like birds in the house, so then she would have to stay in her cage. Maui had few demands like if you ate a banana, you better share or she would yell at you. The same with grapes. If she was out of the cage, she gave you an opportunity to share, but if you ignored her, before they were all gone she would steal a grape, then glare at you as she ate it.

Before our first daughter was born my husband had her sitting on his chest, she would rub her head against his chin if he needed a shave, then one night she threw up on his chest and we were both shocked, I ran to get the bird book and started laughing, my DH was not amused when he said, okay what's wrong? Nothing, she was trying to feed you.... She never did it again, but we think it was because her feelings were hurt from his reaction.

When we had our first child Maui was fine. She was very good with her, then 3 years later we had our second daughter and Maui was not happy. She would get on the edge of the playpen then hiss and threaten her. So I could only let Maui out of the cage when the baby was asleep or not home. After a few months my sister said she would take Maui - actually she wanted my daughter but we felt it was better that she take the bird. It is our understanding she now resides at a bird farm making babies with her mate, Jack.

My sister thought Maui was lonely so got her a mate because out of the blue she started laying eggs. Once she had a mate she quit being a pet. So my sister traded Maui to a bird farm for an Amazon Parrot.

We have never gotten another bird, for some strange reason my youngest doesn't like birds in the house either.