View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 11:01 PM
lsavage2001

Pumpkin Patch Quilter

I own two Homesteader Long Arm Quilting machines. One is 22 inch throat with a stitch regulator for doing free motion; I have it set up on a 10 foot table top frame. My second one is a 19 inch throat with a Side Saddle computerized system set up on a 12 foot table top frame. I choose to buy IKEA kitchen cabinets to use as my base ( that provides me additional storage).

I started on PC Quilter, MAX Throat and Janome 1600. I learned a lot about quilting with the system but could never get the outcomes I was hoping for with my machine.

I have had the Homesteaders for 4 years now. I work full time, so my sewing time is limited to evenings, weekends, and vacation time. I found that if I really wanted to know how to use the machines, I needed to do lots of practicing. I quilt for Passage Quilts, Hospice, and Wounded Warriors. I quilt up to 20 quilts/month.

I tell you all of this as a reference point. There are not classes for Homesteader, so I had to to learn by practice. One of the best things I did was to get over the fear of changing the tension. I played with adjusting the tension until I am at the point now that I can usually tell quickly if I have a problem.

I have found the machines to be a work horse. I am happy with the purchase, I would do it again, and I would recommend the machine to others.

What I would say to anyone purchasing a machine - spend time getting to know your machine. play with the tension, and then practice, practice, practice.

Let me know if you have other questions about the Homesteader.

Warmest regards,