Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 AM
TheMamaHauser

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
wait Anastasia our neighborhood bookworm, Kelly! our other grand bookworm are allergies on the uprise over the last century?
This is my best logical guess at 9:24 am (I woke up at 9:07 am):

There probably are a greater number of allergies because there are a greater number of "things" to induce them. Technologies have created all sorts of stuff - latex, polymers, chemicals, etc - that didn't exist 100 years ago. Look at the back of any food container (non-organic, non-homemade) and you'll see a laundry list of chemicals, additives, and other weirdness that you're putting into your body. I suppose I can't promise but I feel pretty confident that these are all creations from this century.

And then, think about the products purported to be the end-all, be-all products such as pharmaceuticals, cleaning agents, and product stabilizers that later show to be carcinogens and toxins. I'm sure that we haven't figured them all out yet; every time you are exposed to that ingredient or product, your body is building up a little bit more of a sensitivity (kind of like people who were not latex-sensitive as a child and die of anaphalaxys-reaction as a grown up) and that is assuming that the cancer resulting from the product use doesn't get you first!

So, I think the (short) answer is "yes, there are more allergies/allergens now than 100 years ago."