View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 AM
mhollifiel

Originally Posted by SewMomma66 View Post
My divorce was final at the end of September. After 23 years of marriage, he decided he did not want to be a husband, father, etc. This is the first Christmas I have to "share" the kids. I hate, hate, hate this. Since they have to go to their dads at noon on Christmas Day, we have decided to have Christmas on Christmas Eve. We are cooking a ham, potatoes, carrots and pie. My children are 16, 13 and 11 so they know about Santa. We are opening gifts and going to stay up all night playing. I am excited about the evening.
Have I got an idea for YOU! When my boys were small, I came across a magazine article about unique Christmas traditions. One person did a Jack Horner Pie. She saved back one present for each person including herself, wrapped them all in the same paper and stacked them in the center of the dining table with a ribbon running from each to the correct person's place setting. This served as her center piece throughout the holiday. Then on the 26th, these gifts were opened at one of the meals that day. This served as a wonderful answer to one of the boys on Christmas morning when they would invariably ask if Christmas was over. NO WAY, there was still the Jack Horner Pie to do! This would give you a nice enticement for your kids when they come back home and it lengthens the holiday. My mom loved to come to my house for Christmas because, as she put it, "Christmas goes on and on and on!"
These presents don't have to be big but they sometimes were. They might also be an accessory to something Santa brought. The ideas are endless. I also had a few generic presents stashed to add just in case some of my students happened by as they often did. Blew their minds that there was something for them in the pie!