View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM
motomom

The hardest step in any big job is always the FIRST step. And, for me, the first steps are always in this order. I try to do at least one step every day until the mood strikes me to keep at it.

1. Prepare the material, making sure you have the correct amount of backing and batting for just one of the quilts. This involves either a trip to the quilt store, or an online purchase. I have to be careful not to spend loads of time at the quilt shop. When I get home, I prewash my stuff and fold it. Normally while cooking dinner.

2. I always have to prepare my worktable or carpeted area. I'm kind of a slob, so I always have to put things away to get ready.

3. I press the fabric for the backing and then press the top. I lay the batting out flat to let it rest overnight.

4. I lay out my backing, batting, and top and either use spray baste, or I baste the thing together.

5. Final step, into the quilting frame.

After that, I hand quilt in the evenings as I can. I work full time, so this method works out well for me. If I begin on Monday evening, by Friday evening I can be quilting. Take your time and know that it takes lots of time to do this, and you don't have to rush. My Aunt is 86 and she is still quilting, so maybe you will live long enough to make MANY quilts.

Good Luck!