View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Wanabee Quiltin

I am from St. Louis/Il and I have never heard of this custom. I also lived in Idaho and they did not do that there either. In our area, we order very large cakes and then have boxes so if a person wants to take cake home with them, then the little boxes are perfect. When my daughter got married, her in-laws wanted to order a special coffee cake so we said okay. They ordered two of these coffee cakes, which were about 2 feet wide ! These 2 cakes covered an entire table and I think about 10 slices was eaten, they had to take the cakes home. In Idaho, they made a very small wedding cake but they made sheet cakes which were given to guests to eat. The bride and groom ate from the wedding cake. Most of my family members made each layer of the cake a different flavor: devil's food, yellow, lemon, etc. I guess you all like your custom of cookies and as a guest, I would love it, but as a member of the family involved in the wedding, I am not sure I would like to stop and bake cookies at such a busy time. We were totally swamped when DD got married. Thank you for sharing this custom with us.