Old 12-25-2012, 03:03 PM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by conniescretions View Post
Just found out my grandson has autism. They suggested a weighted blanket for him. I am going to try and make him one. That's for the tips.
The basic rule is 10% of body weight + 1 pound. Have fun!

Thank you everyone for your comments. I will post a picture if my DIL has time to take a picture and post it to me. You can imagine how busy she is with TWO autistic sons, ages 11 and 13. The older boy that now has the weighted blanket, is more affected: non-verbal and pretty frustrated a lot of the time. However, he's very sweet when he's not bouncing around. He's in a private school, finally, due to a shocking incident at his public school - paid for by the school system. In very short order, he finally learned to say his phone number - something we've wished for for a long time. The younger boy is almost too verbal! He's mainstreamed, but has repeated a couple of grades. He'll graduate from regular high school eventually, and we've been told he'll probably be eligible for George Mason Univ's program for autistic adults. When we heard that, we were over the moon. His biggest interest is Little Theater.He's a real ham.

Last edited by JoanneS; 12-25-2012 at 03:10 PM.