Thread: Pizelle Recipe
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 05:55 PM
lynnsv

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
You can't beat a Palmer Iron. I bought 2 of mine from www.fantes.com. They are made 100% in the USA, warranted for 5 years and use coils like an electric stove instead of wire coils for even heating. Mine have run for hours at a time with no ill effects to the iron - my feet are another story!

I put my iron on a cookie sheet - it saves clean up time and my counters.

To season your iron the first time you use it each year take 2 slices of bread and cover them heavily with solid shortening (Crisco is the only thing that works each and every time) When the iron has pre-heated for 15 minutes put the bread slices on the iron and close the lid and latch it. Shortening will boil out of the iron, this is why I use a cookie sheet. Let toast for 3 to 4 minutes. remove the bread and put a spoon of pizzelle batter on each design. cook them then throw them away - now you are ready to bake!

Pizzelle
2 cups butter melted then cooled
12 eggs room temperature
24 1/2 ounces granulated sugar
29 ounces of all purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
2 tablespoons fresh/new baking powder
1/4 cup real vanilla extract.

Beat your eggs and sugar until well blended, add butter and beat for 2 minutes. Slowly add the flour, salt and baking powder. Mix until no lumps but don't over beat the batter to prevent tough cookies. Use a 1/2 ounce ladle to spoon the batter onto the iron grids. Makes 9 to 11 dozen.

Chocolate Pizzelle: substitute 3 ounces of cocoa powder for 3 ounces of the flour, add 1 tsp instant coffee crystals or espresso powder (optional).
I tried the chocolate ones & added a bit of peppermint extract!!