Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 AM
ThayerRags

My paternal Grandmother had a Singer Treadle that I suspect was a class 15, but I’ve never seen a photo of it. She lived with us for a while when I was 5 or 6, and I remember getting into trouble one time when I was playing near it and something happened. I don’t know what I did, but I remember that I was in big trouble. She took it to the Nursing Home with her when I was a preteen, used it to sew for the other residents, and I don’t know whatever happened to it.

My maternal Grandmother had a 1906 White VS Treadle that she received (used) as a wedding gift in 1928. She used that until she was able to buy a new Singer 404 with folding table in 1960. I’ve had the White since the 70s, and got the Singer and table in 2006. Stains on top of the folding table could be partly my fault. Grandma set us kids at it for every potluck dinner that she hosted, and I remember the table, but didn’t know it was a sewing machine table at the time.

My Mother inherited a Singer 66 Treadle when she married my Dad in the 40s. It sort of “came with the ranch”, and had been my paternal Grandmother’s machine. I’ve only seen one photo that shows one small corner of the cabinet. Mom used it until she traded it in on a new Singer 301A portable in 1958. She still has this one, and lives with us, although she doesn’t use it much nowadays. She’s told me that I can have it “when she’s done with it”.

I feel lucky to have 3 of the 5 sewing machines that were in the family for years. If anyone ever runs into a 1919 Singer 66 with the serial number G7380154 on it, I’d be interested in buying it. We have her paperwork to buy the 301A (on payments), and it listed the serial number of her trade-in. She was allowed $20 for it.

CD in Oklahoma