View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 AM
katier825

I have done a couple totally on the machine that came out great. First you need to practice a little on scraps to get your seams right. Another thing I do is after I square up my quilt, I stitch over the edges using a serpentine stitch. It helps hold the fabric and batting together and I find it is a little easier applying the binding that way. It's a personal preference thing, but when I get lazy and don't do it, I wish I had.

Prepare your binding as you usually would. I like to starch my binding as I'm pressing it in half. I usually use 2-1/2" folded in half to 1-1/4." I usually sew to the back using about 3/8" seam allowance, so that when I turn the binding to the front, I've got slightly less than 5/8" on the front (I say slightly less due to the thickness of the batting). I glue baste the binding down on the front, then stitch it 1/8" or a little less from the edge. I try to match the bobbin thread to the back of the quilt. It's nearly impossible to get your stitching in the ditch, but if you do it this way, it comes out nicer on the front, which is where you want the focus anyway.

The reason for practicing on scraps is to get your seam allowance right where you want it. It will vary by the batting you choose and the seam allowance you do. Make notes for yourself about what works (and what doesn't).