View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM
grammatjr

Default Praying Parents for a client

When I posted about my sister's quilt (http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t190287.html), a gal from here on the board, saw it, and asked if I would make one for her.

She gave it to her hubby of 46 years for Christmas. She added a few items to make it from her too! I love how it came out.

While discussing the quilt we became great friends because of our shared love of Christ. And so, I was quite happy to do this for her.

She made the patchwork top, and sent the fabric for the borders and backing. After she got it back, she added an applique heart in each corner, a little ribbon over the inner border and the label she embroidered to the back.

While talking, I learned a few family stories which I added to the quilting. She and her hubby met in kindergarten, fighting over a Fisher Price Bumble Bee pull toy - she lost the toy, but won her hubby's heart that day. So, I gave her a gold broach that is the bee.

They loved camping in the mountains when the kids were little. So, one border shows a sleeping bag in front of a tent, under the trees and mountains.

The other side border, has 3 crosses, for the Christian faith which is so strong in their marriage.

At the top of the quilt are the words that her hubby always starts his prayers with. At the bottom are their names.

As you can tell, I personalized the portraits of not only the kids above, but also of her and her hubby. He is more a plaid shirt kind of guy, so I gave him a shirt under a jean jacket, instead of the pin striped suit that my BIL had. Also, he didn't have a beard. She has shorter hair than my sis, and so that meant more face exposed for both of them.

All in all, I estimate around 1/4 million stitches went into this portrait.

Her hubby loved the quilt, and couldn't get over how it was them!
Attached Thumbnails camping.jpg   crosses.jpg   prayer.jpg   bee.jpg   finished-corners.jpg  

finished-overall.jpg   overall.jpg  

Last edited by grammatjr; 12-26-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: add larger pic of overall