Thread: If you were me?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 PM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
If the guests are to write anywhere they want, you may have problems when it comes time to finish. Older signature quilts usually controlled where names/sentiments were placed so they were not buried by stitches. I have been involved in some of these projects and strongly advise the bride to provide squares (stabilized on a firm backing), not a complete top, for her guests. A comfortable table and chairs would make it easier to write. Folks unused to writing on fabric can have a difficult time and worry about mistakes. It's a lot easier to discard a square with an error than to rip it out of a finished top, and also not embarrass the erring person or distress the bride.

And AliKat is 100% correct with her suggestions. Have full time supervision. (I haven't a clue about pricing.)
This would be my recommendation as well. Stabilize squares for guests to write on, and provide a template or markings on top showing the part of the block in which they should write. Have lots of extra blocks in case of errors. The blocks can be put together after the wedding.