Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 AM
MarthaT

For years my sewing "room" was a closet with bi-fold doors and an old desk with closet shelf above it. My opinion is that organization is key for a small area and actually more efficient than larger spaces. Too much space, too much accumulation, and you don't know what you have, so it doesn't get used. When we moved from that house, I restricted myself to one wall of the 10 ft. x 13 ft. laundry room plus an ironing board. (I have three "empty" bedrooms now since we are officially empty-nesters and I refuse to move my sewing stuff into one of them because I know I will just grow to fill it and not use half of what is in there.) My custom cabinet builder husband built me some beautiful, custom designed cabinets/sewing center for my sewing area and I try to keep it organized and limit my stash to what fits there. Otherwise I just buy fabrics for the project at hand. I love your uncluttered look, and hope you can keep it that way. You will gradually add to it I am sure...maybe organizing things on the walls and things with drawers under your tables, but if you can stay organized, that space will give you many years of sewing pleasure! Thanks for sharing.