View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Barb_MO

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
I am at the point where I need to buy another sewing machine. The machine that I have is mechanical, very simple Singer about 12 years old. It is a good little machine that never had a temper tantrum. But, If it dies I will be in a pickle. I have never worked on an electronic (digital) sewing machine before. What are its pros and cons? I do not like overly sensitive machines that throw a fit if I use a thread that is not high end. I would be using the machine primarily for piecing and occasionally for quilting small projects. I have my Bailey for bigger quilts. The options that I like but do not have are automatic threader, thread cutter, dog feed lowering, and maybe a few decorative stitches. My budget is small, about $400. What are your thoughts - stick with the devil I know and buy a mechanical or join the 21st century and buy a digital machine? Help!
I sew on twenty year old Janome, which was called New Home when I bought. It is a dream of a machine. It was the school model when I bought it. It has never been serviced by anyone other than myself. I clean it once in a while and add a little oil. I clean out the bobbin area and put a drop of oil between the bobbin and case at every bobbin change and if I am sewing fast and for a long time I add more oil to the bobbin case. I use any and every kind of thread. I was at a sewing center not to long ago and they had one of these machines in thier shop for sale. I bought it for $75.00 and was glad to get it.