View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 PM
LoupEsprit

Question Of thread and rotary blades....

Alright, I have a conundrum for those more experienced quilters out there.

I am in dire need of both thread and replacement rotary blades (once you go rotary, you never... um... insert something clever involving not going back to scissors??).

MY QUESTIONS: (Keep in mind, Jo-Ann's is having 50% off all thread and 40% off rotary blades starting sunday)

What is the best 'value' thread? I have been using hand-me-down thread that apparently isn't even made any more (surprised me, it's still stronger than the cheap stuff! Sews fine, no breakage!) It's called "Spun Dee - the Anything Thread". It's on a wooden spool, and has a price of 39 cents on the label!! Geeze... I guess they really DON'T make things like they used to... I wish I could find more of this stuff!

Is there an equivilant? I can't spend a ton on 'fancy' thread, I just want something that will sew and not break or jam my machine. I do like Guntermann, but it's the only other kind I've ventured to try... Recommendations are appreciated!

On to the blades!!

I have a Fiskars 45mm cutter, and it needs a blade. It was dull, and I tried to sharpen it. I FAILED, now it won't cut at all.

Should I buy a bunch of blades while they're on sale? Or should I buy a few and invest in a blade sharpener? I'm just not sure if they are worth the money? Reviews??

OK, That's it for now. I'm trying desperately to hold onto my newfound hobby in light of my job loss... but now I'm on a tighter budget than ever...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-27-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: duplicate info