Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 AM
J Miller

Default Has the world changed so much in the last 30 years, or is it me?

I was hunting for some of my widgets that got knocked on the floor this morning and had to lay down on the floor and use a ruler to slide them out from under a shelf. No small feat for a fat man with a fuzzy cat walking all over him.
As I was on the floor I noticed an ID placard on the bottom of the sewing machine cabinet my wife has been using. It was a Sears-Roebuck and Co cabinet with the date code of March 2, 1983. It came from my cousin with the Bernina which was made in 86 I believe.

Anyway this cabinet has a platform with multiple holes in it to fasten down a variety of machines. And the platform drops vertically so you can have a level work place for your portable or raised surface for a free arm machine.

The last time we were in Sears, they had almost nothing as far as sewing. Only a few machines and those were plastic junque.
No furniture, no notions, no supplies, no ... nothing. It was sad really.

A number of the cabinets and machines we have are Sears products. Generally good quality and worth the effort to keep in good order. A far cry from the stuff I've seen at the LSMG shop, cheaply made plastic and particle board stuff at outrageous prices.

When I compared the table and machines from the 80s on back to what is out there now, I wished I was living in 1912 rather than 2012.

I guess I truly am an anachronism. Elaine said: "We".

Joe