View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Vanuatu Jill

You can usually demo machines at a sewing shop or fabric store that sells machines, but my Joanns and Walmart won't let you try them either. I bought my Brother 420PC Project Runway Limited Edition from Amazon.com with no sales tax and free shipping 2 years ago for $450.00 (regularly $599.00)They are on sale now for approx $399.00. I love my machine, free arm, auto thread cutter, needle threader, plus tons more features. Look at Amazon.com for complete descriptions of various machines, and search for a larger sewing machine shop where they have sales, repairs, classes etc. I have one about 40 minutes away and I have been a few times to play with a Long Arm with stitch regulator they have set up for people to try out. Everyone has different opinions about machines, so it is what you feel comfortable with in your price range that counts. $500.00 will buy a nice machine plus extras for it if they don't come with it ( walking foot, FMQ foot, etc). You can find a very good machine for $200 - $300 and upgrade in a few years or so if you decide you really want more in a machine. Personally, I really don't like machine quilting on a standard machine, especially on quilts. I am struggling now with just a tree skirt, but that os just me. I do some stippling on small projects, like purses and fabric bowls!!