View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 AM
BoJangles

I see a lot of people say stay away from Coats and Clark thread. I was told when I started quilting to stay away from Coats and Clark. When I was younger Coats and Clark was all I used, but the thread is not made like it was when our mothers and grandmothers used that thread. It is wound different and produced differently - it is not the same thread today.. Back when, Coats and Clark was the best thread you could buy - now it is a lower quality product.

Also, stay away from Walmarts etc., very cheap thread. That is what they refer to as the meddlings (spelling?). It is the thread picked up off the floor in the thread factories and re-wound into thread. It is very linty and very weak thread. Why spend all the time and money making a quilt etc., just to have the thread rot out after a few washings? Besides the fact that, that really cheap thread is not good for your sewing machine!

Using Bottom Line or Serger thread is iffy too because it is a thinner ply thread. Bottom Line was made to use in bobbins because of the fact that the thinner ply gives you a lot more thread in your bobbin - you spend less time changing bobbins when quilting. Serger thread is made the same way because with a Serger you have double seams and the loopers to re-inforce the seam - so you can get by with a thinner ply weaker thread. I wouldn't use either to piece with. I want my quilts to outlive me - not fall apart because I used very nice fabric with cheap thread.

I use Superior piecing thread, DMC all cotton, Mediera all cotton, or any good quality thread to piece with. I quilt with King Tut exclusively because I want my quilts to hold up for years and years to come! I may use Bobbin Line in my bobbin, but it is off set with the really good quality King Tut on top. I'd never peice with a cheap thread in the bobbin and on top.

Just my two cents!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 12-29-2012 at 06:59 AM.