Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 AM
reneaunoel

Suggestion for the Golden Books fabric - I'm working on a Disappearing 9 patch for a baby quilt, the fabrics have very little in common, 2 purple tones, 1 black print, 1 navy print, 2 light brown tone prints and one red/orange print. Sounds nasty, but when I put into the pattern and slice apart, I will wind up with a very interesting set of blocks, with an interesting "side" pattern. The red/orange will be the center square so will be split into 4 small squares. by controlling myself when I twist, I'll have corner to corner and will control the pop of bright color. Then to decide if I want to sash or just frame the finished product.

I think your Golden books fabrics would look good in that pattern. You may still need to acquire another fabric or two to help lighten up the darks, or use the darkest one as the center block, so it becomes a small accent instead of over-powering the rest!

So far, I have WAY too much fun buying fabric from across the spectrum at stores to even really consider letting someone else "program" my choices. I too have stood in front of the selection and said "OH my, how would I ever....." then something comes over me and I take home a pile! Too funny and some of the choices have made me wonder about my own sanity, but once I start folding fabric and moving it around, I can usually find a combination that will work. And it's even better when I decide I need 2 or 3 out of my stash to finish the design (stash is handy, IF you use it!)

Good luck and trust your instincts! If you look at the folded fabrics and think it needs a bright yellow, you are probably right!