Thread: Bearly A Month
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM
GeePatti

Default Bearly A Month

I've been a lurker here for several months, reading, researching, and admiring so many beautiful quilts. So now, I'm posting pictures (hopefully) of my very first "quilt." I made this for my neighbor and dear friend, who's son and daughter-in-law just had their first baby. They are in Germany, where he is stationed after a tour in Afghanistan.

The pattern is "Bearly A Month" from Clotilde/Annie's Attic, (baby quilt section) which I purchased in early September, and have been working on it since. I finally finished it today, and wanted to share it, warts and all. It's got some modifications like the sashing, and no real borders, but it's kind of close.

It's an applique quilt, so I tried the quilt as you go method from a book I bought, but I didn't grasp some of the information too well, and thought I would rag the seams on the back. But, when I got to that point, there wasn't enough material to make a good "safe" rag, so I attached a single piece of chocolate flannel on the back, and tried to stitch in the ditch around the inside of each block. Well, it's stitched, but I kinda jumped the ditch in a couple places.

The adhesive cutout appliques were ironed on..first the bear bodies, then bear heads, then each sleeve, leg, and top, then the 'extras' for each month's theme. Then, after making my 'sandwich', I machine appliqued everything in place. The binding isn't the best job, and you'll find a lot of screw ups if you look, but I'm hoping the new mom and dad can use it to help teach the months. I put in a rod pocket on the back, so they can also use it as a window covering or a wall hanging.

I'm eager to see what you all think, and welcome any suggestions. Thanks for looking!

GeePatti
Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   tophalf.jpg   bottomhalf.jpg   backing.jpg