View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 AM
TinaRibena

Default Question from a beginnner quilter

Okay, please forgive me if this is a silly question, but I am very new to quilting, and this has been bugging me so I have to ask....

I have done a reasonable amount of sewing, but until recently this has been dressmaking. I am used to a larger seam allowance, and having to always finish all the raw edges edges of my fabric in order to stop it all fraying and compromising the seams.

So, I am currently embroidering the panels for the centre piece of my first 'proper' quilt, and will soon be ready to start on the patchwork element of it. I know I need to use a 1/4" seam allowance. So, is my lovely quilt likely to fray? None of the instruction books that I have say anything about finishing the edges, and it would be very difficult anyway with such a small seam allowance anyway, wouldn't it? Or does the actual quilting part of it take care of the possibility of fraying? I know that it won't be subject to the same wear and tear that a garment would, but having spent time and money making the quilt I really would like it to be durable.

Any words of wisdom please?