Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 AM
WTxRed

Default What I learned in my first year of making quilts

I just finished my first year of making quilts / tops.
I completed 19 tops, and 18 of the 19 completed in total quilts in 13 months. #19 is on the LA and should be finished in the next few days. 5 of those are queen - the others range from lap to cuddle. And I work a full time job. Yes my least favorite 'wifey' chores slipped (housework) . I tend to be a little OCD and somewhat of a perfectionist and typically I see a very firm vision of what the end result should be.
Some of these are tongue-in-cheek...and in no particular order

Here's what I've learned in my first year:

1) All those years of art lessons as a child finally paid off
2) I should've have geometry in school
3) Computer Science is my profession but I have never used so much math as I do in quilting.
4) My Mom is still my greatest inspiration.
5) It's easier to make a quilt with a drawn out plan (or pattern) than to do it on the fly (and cheaper too!)
6) No one, other than me, and maybe one other person, is EVER going to see or notice the little "change" I had to make because I short cut one piece along the way.
7) Color is my friend. Too much color/motion/texture can be my friend, I just have to accept it.
8) Ignorance is bliss. With no per-conceived ideas about what my attempts/results at various techniques should be - I was able to complete each technique, sometimes even making changes to enhance my experience or the outcome! (Don't tell me I can't do something!)
9) I do like ironing.
10) My quilts all talk to me and all get named. Sometime the recipient 'didn't get' what the name meant, but that's ok. It meant something to me!
11) It's ok not to be perfect because the person receiving the quilt thinks their quilt is perfect!
12) I don't particularly like making scrappy quilts (too uncontrolled).
13) I don't particularly like buying fabric without an idea of what I'm going to use it for.
14) The process of picking out quilt and quilting design and fabrics for a top, cutting, sewing together a top 'calms' me.
15) I really want to feel confident and comfortable using my mom's computer guided Gammill Optimum Statler Stitcher.
16) I entered a few quilts in a judged show - won with one (my first quilt) but really did it for the comments. I have to say...the things the Judge commented on are things discussed on this board every day. And even tho you may follow a pattern/instructions perfectly, that may not be what the judge thinks should have happened with it!
17) This group is such an integral part of my success. I'd venture to say that none of you know that. Your support, compassion, vision, humor, friendship have been a cornerstone for me.

Thank you all and
Happy Quilting in 2013!

Jan