View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM
azwendyg

Default Thread Play FMQ with Eddie the Mule

Here are some pics of my current WIP. I designed this to use as a center medallion in a quilt to be made primarily of show ribbons for Eddie's owner. It measures about 24" x 16". I started with a piece of mottled brown batik and a picture of Eddie for reference. The batik is layered on top of a piece of Pellon fleece. First I made a freezer paper drawing to use as a pattern, then marked the outline and some of the essential characteristics on the batik and then started stitching on my DSM (a Juki TL98Q). I used both Sulky rayon and Superior "Magnifio" poly embroidery threads to get the colors I wanted. It took me a couple of days to do the actual stitching on this.

I've never done a "show ribbon" quilt (like ribbons from the county fair, only horse/mule shows), and I'm sure it's going to be a challenge. I plan to topstitch/piece them onto a muslin foundation, building around this center medallion. I know I can't iron or get the ribbons wet at all, so I think I'll try a modified quilt-as-you-go method. If anyone has any advice regarding quilting with show ribbons, I'd love to hear it!

Hope you enjoy the pics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384821[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384822[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384823[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384824[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails eddieoval-sm.jpg   eddieoval-eardetail-sm.jpg   eddieoval-neckdetail-sm.jpg   eddieoval-nosedetail-sm.jpg