View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 PM
hopetoquilt

Default The Best way to learn FMQ on a DSM

I have learned to piece, match seams, needle turn appliqué, and paper piece but I need to learn to FMQ. I have to learn to FMQ myself. I can send a few quilts out but not everything.

What is the best way to learn. Book, craftsy class(which one), live class? What is going to help? I doodle designs all the time, I watch u-tube videos, bounced between cotton and poly threads, etc. I even tried to quilt from the side of the machine instead of the front. I modified my darning foot, bought a clear foot. I have a babylock quilters choice machine which was expensive so it is not the quality of the machine.

i tried the supreme slider(did nothing for me), use gloves, got the bobbin genie, messed with tension and speed, tried stencils(even worse results).

I got the Nancy Chong DVD on needle turn and it worked beautifully and I learned how to needle turn applique really well. I practiced a lot and watched the video at least 7 times but it worked. I need something for FMQ.

if you are Great at FMQ on a DSM, how did you get there?

This is my New Years resolution. I don't want/need shortcuts. I need to know what sources helped you learn and develop your skills. TIA