Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by meow meow View Post
I was given a very nice surprise this week, my grandmothers treadle sewing machine. I would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about it. I do not know how to post pictures so all I can do is attempt to tell you about it: What I think is a serial number (as it is on a plate like my other machines) #12454002, when checked with ISMACS all it says is no serial 1900. The machine is a singer with the bullet like bobbin, it has a square casket top and the decals on the machine are one on the right side of machine of a Lion that looks like it is dressed as a spinx done in golds. The machine itself was working a few years ago as my uncle sewed some small pieces of leather with it. It has been stored in a garage and is needing some cleaning. DH vacuuming it out as I write this. He said he was going to polish it up with car wax to make her color sheen. Should I allow him to do this? Any recommendations from anyone? Thanks for your help. Oh and if I could post pics I would but I am too dumb to do that. Maybe soon my grandchildren will teach me how.
Meow, you are so lucky to have inherited your grandmother's treadle. What a treasure to have. I have about 15 or so treadles and none of them belonged to anyone in my family, but I still love them all. To have something from your past is really awesome.

Joe and Dan are right. Your treadle is probably a 27/127 Sphinx. It could be a 15. I think some very early 15's also had the Sphinx decals. Does it have the tension on the face plate? If so it is a 15, if not it is a 27/127 depending on the placement of the bobbin winder. Please post a photo!

Jean has some really good advice too! Clean the machine with sewing machine oil and watch Muv's tutorials. I would not use anything else over the decals. Those decals are very fragile at this point and could silver. Use cotton balls changing to a clean one often so you don't go over anything with grunge on the cotton ball. I wanted so bad to clean up a Davis treadle I have. When I got the machine I started cleaning like crazy and I took off the decals completely before I even realized what I had done. It made me sick, but I learned! I still have the Davis Vertical Feed and use it all the time, but it is a plain black now! Never again will I clean a vintage machine with anything but sewing machine oil!

Nancy