Thread: feedsacks
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Betty Ruth

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
Does any one sew with the orginal feedsack? I have about 600 and love to work with them. I have done four quilts, two of them reversible and a few wall hangings. They are getting harder to find and more costly. I also have a lot of flour sacks. My husband remembers his Mother making his clothes from feed sacks.
One of my brothers and I were talking about feed sacks recently. He remembers Mother sending him to the mill with our father and a list of what kind of sacks she wanted, 3 flower print for a dress, one for a short sleeve shirt or 2 for long sleeves. She might even send a swatch of something that she would like more of. He said that the warehouse man would get mad when he had to move a large number of sacks to get one near the bottom. I wore feed sack dresses all through high school and beyond. I'd be happy to sew with those feed sacks, but they were all used up years ago. As to the flower sacks, the only ones I've ever seen were thinner, more closely woven than feed sacks, and only came in all white. They were used for underclothes and dish towels.