View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Sierra

Patti25314, I have had similar experiences and I'm in my 70s! I don't do "block quilts, can't follow patterns (seems like there is a term I don't know, or two interpretations of things...) it just doesn't work for me. To make 60 or 120 blocks of the same pattern is something I can't/wont' do. So I let designs develop; let the fabrics direct me; do what seems to come next, keep the intended owner in mind. Happily my kids and Gkids all really like my quilts and I always have a list of quilts that have been requested. My skills are poor (I have pretty bad arthritis) but each quilt is for someone who wants it. Yes, I do quilts for shelters and church drives and I just presume that the fact that I tried to make them pretty and that they are warm will make them well received. (Wish I could meet some of the people who have my quilts!). Some relatives simply don't want home made quilts, and that's OK. Others say, "When do I get mine!?" I've had extended relatives tell me exactly what theme and colors they like. So far, within the year they have a new quilt. Love them all.

When I show a quilt at a guild that I joined last year the reception is flat. They are looking for things they might want to do and what I have isn't what they have even thought about. I did one quilt that had 3 men say "WOW" when they saw it here at home and when I showed it to the group they hardly quit talking to one another to look at it. They simply don't see it as a quilt and they don't understand it. That's OK. Not my dream group but that's OK too. They are nice people and I want that connection.

Do your thing. Try another group if the one you're in is getting painful. Snoop around and see if you can find other quilters who would like a smaller, more initimate and supportive group. I found 4 other gals using this quilt board and we have been meeting for 2 years now. They are really supportive, each strong in a different area (all strong, better quilters than I am) and each supportive and willing to make suggestions.

I even have a pen pal from QB and we have helped each other with ideas when we get into a corner and can't figure out how to make something wimpy shine. We celebrate each other's quilts. It's very up-lifting. Keep trying!

Last edited by Sierra; 12-31-2012 at 07:37 PM.