View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
PaperPrincess is correct here again - the actual file structure of the floppy is a proprietary structure and can not be created by ANY other programs (except for Pfaff - as Pfaff and VH are one in the same the Pfaff 3D abd 4D programs will create all the VH file formats including the D1).

However --- 4D WILL run on Windows 7 without any problems (at least on mine - lol). My laptop is Win 7 and my 4D runs perfectly on it. I do know that the 3D precursor (I think it is the one that Ioftheneedle commented on - Viking Customizing VIP ) will only run on much older Operating Systems. I think that the 3D is written to perform on XP machines - but have seen on some blogs that folks have gotten it to work on Win 7.

I saw that 4D organizer can be purchased from both the Pfaff and Viking dealers as a stand alone module - I did see it advertised with a price on one site for around $110 new.

Again - good advice from several - call or go into a VH dealer and ask questions about your D1, Software requirements and transferring designs. You can also ask the same software questions to a Pfaff dealer (trust me they are the exact same - identical - programs supported by the exact same tech folks).

Good luck
This is correct. I now have 5D but started out with 4D on Windows 7 starter and Windows 7 full install. I had no problem with it at all. I got my old laptop out with XP on it due to some older software that didn't run on Win7 and XP with service pak is more reliable than Vista for the software. Check on Craigslist, etc and you should be able to pick up a XP pc or laptop pretty cheaply. There have been some who have gotten software to work on Win 7 but it takes some work. If you don't have a dealer close to you to ask for help email the techs at Viking for software or hardware questions. They are good at responding and helping out. Ask me how I know. A good dealer would be your best asset though.