View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 07:46 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
In general the size of a needle should correspond to the size of thread, not the type of design. I use a size 11 for just about everything since I generally use a 40 weight thrad. I also have some size 10s that I used for an heirloom 50 wt thread on fine batiste. The pro machines have different needles than the home machines that last much longer (a few hundred thousand stitches), and I still go through a LOT of needles. I buy in bulk and just buy the 11s. I even use a 11 on thick quilted fabrics. For metallics, I use Yenmet and I have no troubles with it and an 11 either. Some metallics are more fragile though and might need a bigger eye.

Pam
this is true the size of the needle and the type of needle is determined more by the thread than the size of design. Most will tell you to use a sharp when doing FSL because you'll have fewer issues. I tried a reqular emb needle at first when doing FSL and had lots of problems with the thread breaking; I finally went up in size of needle and used a sharp and had no problems. At first I thought it was because my thread was old so I bought new thread of the same kind and still had issues. I was using the cone serger thread because I didn't want to use my expensive thread on what I was making. As soon as I changed the needle size and type I had no problems, even when I went back to using my older thread. The size of design can affect how many layers of stablizer you need though. What I'll do is hoop at least one layer and then take my left over pieces from other projects and using spray basting attach these peices to the hooped layer giving me 2 or more layers. It works great and it cuts down on the cost. Make sure to let it dry before you start embroidering. I'll also buy the WS on the bolt from Joanns and even if its using tearaway as the main one I'll hoop the first layer with the cheaper WS to give extra support. This really is helpful when your stabilizer is a little to short in width for your hoop. You get the extra support and width to support it without spending a fortune.

Last edited by romanojg; 01-01-2013 at 07:49 AM.