View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM
J Miller

Default Visit with Miriam and Phil

We just got home from a visit with Miriam and her husband Phil.

I had picked up an ancient Domestic treadle with most of the bottom, top and most of the coffin, she'd seen over here on CL. She had a couple sewing machines I wanted, and a couple we'd won on GW she picked up for us. So we did a bunch of swapping.

I now have a real purty metallic blue Precision HA-1 / 15 clone for my collection. I also got another Kenmore we have to hunt up cams for, it was cheep so we didn't get hurt. A nice blue Sewmor 606 and a metalic silver Sewmor 404.
She also had a couple of cases she gave me. One was more or less complete except the bottom had been termite fodder, and the other the bottom was OK but the top had come completely unglued. I'll have them fixed in due time. Thanks Miriam.

She's also got two Dressmaker 7000s just like mine. So I took mine over there and compared them all. Mine isn't as bad as I thought because both of hers do the same things mine does. I still have to tinker with the cam follower system. It doesn't fully fill out the patterns. But I'm closer to getting it to cooperate.

We also tried to diagnose what in the world is rattling inside my last Singer 413. Couldn't find it. Since it sews, I'm just gonna sell it and be done with it. ( I hope )

We parted out an old Singer 5 drawer treadle. I got the top part the hinges mount to for my 9W-7 treadle and some screws.
That will come much closer to getting that machine back in it's treadle.

Got some motors to mess with and gave Miriam a genuine J Miller Whacky bag.

It was fairly cold in the shop house so we retired to the back of the house and gobbled up some home made chile. Emmmm, emmm gooood. It hit the spot on this cold brrrrrrrr day.

After that I went over to the blue house and visited with Phil. He showed me all the work he'd been doing on the house.
WOW, I can see the huge amount of work he's already done, and yet he's still got a long way to go. It will be a really nice place when he gets done, that I can see.

On the way to Indy we saw a really nice coyote in the median looking like he'd just woke up, and on the way back just outside of Indy we saw a whole heard of dear down in a field.

All in all we had a great visit and a nice trip.

Joe and Elaine