Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Minmom3

I've given away every one I've finished. Mostly, so far, that's baby quilts, or children's quilts. I've done only one adult quilt and I gave that to my mother. Mother has taken terrible care of it, and I've had to grit my teeth and remind myself that it isn't mine anymore. The odd thing is Mother used to make fine garments, from drafting the pattern through to finished item. She sort of KNOWS how hard it is to do, she thinks quilts are much easier than garments (no fitting!), but she knows I buy nice fabric, and choose the blocks with care, and hand quilt them, so I'm not quite sure why she's so cavalier with the finished product. She does tell people, however, that I made the ratting looking thing!

When I make full sized quilts for my daughters (they've only had childhood quilts to date) I'm going to have to do the same thing - "it's not mine anymore" and make sure they hide it if it gets trashed... I think I can live with ignorance a whole lot easier than I can live with visual proof that they didn't care enough to take care of it. One daughter has told me that her boyfriend actually likes her quilt so much he now wants another quilt for them both, and he's afraid he'll overuse and ruin the childhood quilt. So, they will get one at some point, and it will be used and loved. And I will be happy that it is, just hide the damage from me!