View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
KyKaren1949

I'm afraid I have experienced the same thing, but not because I was young. It was because I was new and inexperienced, I guess. I joined a local guild and absolutely LOVED it the first year. Over the course of time, I noticed many of the very experienced "master" seamstresses to be very clique-ish and snobby. Rather than encouraging us newbies at workshops, they were quick to tell us what we did wrong or make us feel less than they. After the second year and another couple ugly situations, I just gave up and quit. I had gotten very involved but decided it wasn't worth it when I would come home and cry because of things that were said to and about me.
I've since joined a different, smaller guild where the members are of a smaller county. The first guild had about 175 members and this one has less than 50. It's a totally different environment. There is one bully there, but for the most part, we can ignore her. I'm grateful to have found them because it's so much more fun to learn and sew with others.