Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
quiltjoey

I was born in Georgia. My Mom died at age 91 a few years ago. We always had black-eyed peas, collards or turnips, ham of some kind, and cornbread for New Years Day. She said the black-eyed peas represented coin money, collards/turnips were paper money, and ham to be thankful to have meat to eat. She grew up in the depression era and her mother died when she was 8 years old.
For New Year's Day I cooked black-eyed peas (local fresh-frozen from Publix), collards out of my husband's garden and roasted a chicken. The peas and collards were cooked with smoked ham bones. It is a tradition I remember since I can remember! MMMMMMMM, Good.

I also learned to cook the pork and sauerkraut while we were stationed in Germany in the 60's and cook it occasionally at different times. Sear and brown the pork tenderloin or what ever type you choose. I use two jars of regular kraut and 1 jar of Barvarian type. Rinse it good because the kraut contains a lot of salt. Put the kraut in the crock pot cover with water, add the carmelized pork and cook all day, 5-6 hours. The pork just falls apart. Make a thickening out of flour or cornstarch to thicken the kraut and pork. Make mashed potatoes to serve with it. MMMMMMMM, good!
My family loves it.