View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM
beadywoman

I got really lucky with the LQS that I chose when I treated myself to a new sewing machine. After piddling around for about a year on my own, I joined their Saturday block of the month club and found that I really do enjoy it. My very short stint with a guild has not as successful, although I did meet some nice women.

What I have discovered is that some view quilting as an art and quilt because of their love of creating something beautiful that is an expression of themselves. Others seem to be very focused on the do's and don't's of quilting and are very rooted in their idea of what quilting should be, and enjoy policing everyone else. I'm of the variety that believes there aren't any rules except those that I make for myself when it comes to my artform and creativity. Hopefully you will find a small group where you can bond together, or find an LQS that is inviting and supportive. It is certain that I wouldn't have come as far as I have in my quilting journey had it not been for my LQS! Like I said, I got real lucky when I stumbled in there in a mad search for a machine! Best of luck to you, and remember - there will ALWAYS be somebody who ate too many prunes!