View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
nstitches4u

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
It's not quilters, per se, but WOMEN! (Now I know I'll get bashed for this, but hang on, just a sec.) I have lived all over the USA, but mostly on the coasts. What I've discovered is that women in any group where there are not men (oh, keep reading. I hear you yelling at me.) to modify/influence the behavior of women...well, it can get nasty. It seems to depend on the leader. If you can somehow be friends with the leader (and I don't mean brown nose, but be genuine) and get her approval, you'll be set. Otherwise, it'll be a tough road. I LOVE younger folks. They keep me alive, stretching, growing, learning. Now go ahead and bash me...but it's what I've experienced. Sad, very sad that women are their own worst enemies.

Eyes...you are SO right!!!
I agree with you It happens anywhere there is a group of all women. I have worked in several jobs during my life. The least stressful job I ever had was when I was the only woman in a 14 person department. There was no gossip or cliques. Everyone got along and did his job. It was a very pleasant working environment.

I belonged to a quilt guild for a couple of years. Most of the ladies were 10-20 years older than I was. Several of the ladies had published books (some of them many books) on quilting. I felt like I was in way over my head because I was a beginning quilter. The ladies were always friendly, but I was not comfortable showing my simple quilts during show and tell. I am currently a member of another guild and I am one of the oldest members. Everyone is very friendly and we all learn together. It is just a better fit for me.

I also belong to a quilt club that meets every week. I enjoy it, but am thinking about leaving the group because weekly meetings are too much. I don't want to spend all my time at meetings when I could be home quilting.

Is there a Project Linus group in your area? Most ladies who make charity quilts are very friendly.