View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM
pumpkinpatchquilter

You sound SO much like me when I first started quilting!!! I'm almost 32 now, but I began when I was about 23. Don't let it deter you from this art if you love it. Have you heard the saying "nurses eat their young"? I know this isn't nursing, but it really does attract like minded women...in the sense that they want honor and respect for the dues that they've paid. Not everyone has been warm and welcoming to me in the quilting community, and it REALLY bothered me at first. I've stuck with it almost ten years now and I finally feel more accepted...not that you should sit around pining for acceptance, but, my advice is give those ladies the oooh and ahhh that they want...because in my heart I think they just truly want to be revered by you. I still have women grab the rotary cutter right out of my hand and try to show me how to cut - even though at this point in my quilting career I could probably teach them a thing or two!! They just don't know YOU and what you are capable of yet...you have to settle in and they will come around. Some will be stinkers NO MATTER WHAT you do...just remember it's not YOU...and then there will be those who accept you and love your enthusiasm and you will bond and connect and make lifelong friends. Keep at it...seek out younger quilters (there is a huge movement of quilters in your age group ONLINE) and just try not to let it get to you. Remember, some of them probably wonder why you'd want to hang out with a bunch of old ladies! Hahaha (I am the youngest member of my guild...and I love those ladies even though many of them are the MOTHERS of people I went to high school with! LOL*)